Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Still need to file? Our experts can get your taxes done right. Get started >
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Dual Citizen moving back to Canada



I am a dual citizen and have been living in the US for 18 years. I'll be repatriating back to Canada this summer and will establish residency there in the next few months. I am starting a job and will be working through their Canadian office, so my income will be taxed in Canada. 


I plan to turn my primary residence into a rental property while I am gone, so I will be filing state and federal taxes in the US/IL and also in Canada. I understand there are things in place now where I am not being double taxed. Do you have any information on that? 


Is there anything else you can advise for me before I make the move.?





1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Dual Citizen moving back to Canada

Once you are considered a Canadian resident for tax purposes, all of your worldwide income (Canadian or foreign) is subject to Canadian tax from that point forward.  However, if you intend to maintain your US residence as a rental property, then you will need to file a US 1040NR to report that rental income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies