Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax correctly handle QCDs? We made QCDs for the first time, and our refund is $1,000 less than expected, and I wonder if the entire QCD amount was deducted.

To test the results, I changed the RMD amounts to reflect the RMD minus the entire QCD.  That increased my refund by $1,000.  That's why I wonder if Turbo is correct.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC
Expert Alumni

Does TurboTax correctly handle QCDs? We made QCDs for the first time, and our refund is $1,000 less than expected, and I wonder if the entire QCD amount was deducted.

TurboTax does handle Qualified Charitable Donations correctly.   A qualified charitable distribution can satisfy all or part of your required minimum distribution for the year.   You can make a qualified charitable distribution for more than the required minimum distribution, but you cannot apply any excess to a future year required minimum distribution.

Note: To report a qualified charitable distribution on your Form 1040 tax return, you'll use the 1099-R (even though there's no indication that it was a QCD). Enter the info as a 1099-R and you'll be asked in one of the follow-up questions if it was a Qualified Charitable Distribution.

TurboTax includes the full amount of the distribution reported on your Form 1099-R on line 4a (IRA Distributions) of your Form 1040 or 1040-SR. The taxable amount reported on Line 4b will be the total distribution less the QCD amount and will have "QCD" entered next to it.

QCD Rules and Qualifications

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies