Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kelseyzz

How can I correctly pay federal taxes if my employer cannot exclude FICA deductions?

I am a Non-Resident Alien (NRA) and have been in the USA for less than 5 years. According to my status, I am exempt from FICA taxes. However, my employer recently switched to a new payroll system that cannot exclude FICA when deducting federal taxes. This means that if they deduct my federal tax, they will also deduct FICA, which I am not required to pay. The alternative they offered is to deduct $0 for my federal tax.

Here are my concerns:

1. If my employer deducts nothing for my federal tax, how can I ensure I pay the correct amount when I file my tax return?
  2. Will I face any issues or penalties when filing my tax return due to the lack of federal tax deductions throughout the year?
  3. Is there a way to pay the correct federal tax amount without getting FICA deducted, given that the IRS does not refund FICA to non-residents?

Any guidance or advice on how to handle this situation would be greatly appreciated. I want to ensure compliance with tax laws and avoid losing money from my paycheck.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies