Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does TurboTax allow me to file a Recovery Rebate Credit form with my 2020 taxes, if I din't get the second stimulus payment?

I received the 1st stimulus, but not the 2nd. The IRS page to check, does not have any info as to why I didn't get it. Does TurboTax allow me to file a Recovery Rebate Credit form as part of my 2020 tax filing? Currently it links to the IRS info page, but I don't see how to do that in my 2020 taxes.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

Does TurboTax allow me to file a Recovery Rebate Credit form with my 2020 taxes, if I din't get the second stimulus payment?

If Get My Payment shows "Payment Status #2 – Not Available" you will not receive a second stimulus payment. You must claim it as the Recovery Rebate credit on your 2020 tax return.

In TurboTax Online, to claim the Recovery Rebate credit please do the following:

1. Sign into your account and continue from where you left off
  2. Click on Federal in the left-hand column, then on Federal Review on the top of the screen
  3. On the next page titled Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click on Continue
  4. Follow the interview
  5. TurboTax will determine whether you are entitled to any additional stimulus
  6. Any stimulus amount remaining due to you will show as a credit on line 30 of your form 1040.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I just had a chance to go back and try and finish up my taxes. When I go to the Federal Review page, I never see this:  Let's make sure you got the right stimulus amount. It just does the Federal Review and gives me the option to continue to State taxes (which I skip since my state doesn't have them). I can get all the way to filing (which I haven't done yet) without ever seeing an option to check my stimulus. But I would like to check it, because I believe it's incorrect that I didn't get the second stimulus.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you able to access your stimulus check choices by following these steps?

• Down the left side of the screen, click on Federal.
  • Across the top of the screen, click on Other Tax Situations.
  • At the screen Let’s keep going to wrap up.  Click on Let’s keep going.
  • At the screen Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount, click Continue.
  • At the screen Did you get a stimulus payment? you can update your stimulus check entries.

TurboTax will compare your two payment amounts to the computation within TurboTax.  The computations within TurboTax are based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software.  If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

See also this TurboTax Help.

When I follow those instructions it takes me immediately from Let’s keep going to the page Federal Review and the Federal Review comes back fine. At no point before I get to Federal Review or during that process am I given an option for Let’s make sure you got the right stimulus amount.

Here are the steps you need to follow with pictures.  I needed the pictures, because I was going to the wrong review.  I hope this helps.

Remember that the IRS will continue to make stimulus payments until February 5.  Continue to check the IRS Get My Payment website to see if a bank deposit is made or if a check or debit card is issued.  After February 12, if these is still no payment made then follow these steps to add the payment to your 2020 tax refund.

At the top of your tax return select Federal Review

Insert fed review pic

That will take you to this screen where it asks if you have already received your stimulus payments.  If you received the first or second payment already, then select Yes and fill in the information.  If you did not receive any payment select No.  If you received the first payment only, fill in that amount and put zero (0) for the second payment.

When the screen is correct, you refund will be adjusted for the amount of stimulus payment that will be added to your 2020 refund.

Insert Stim Pic here

Nope, that was the Federal Review I was always going to. I have gone through every page I think of. I literally do not get the stimulus page. It just never comes up for me. Maybe our income is too high and it triggers a different response? I don't know. We were on the edge of getting the first stimulus (did not get the full amount). But our income didn't change that much and I would still like the option to run our numbers on the stimulus page.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Are you able to view the tax return to see:

• An entry on line 30 of the 1040, or
  • Recovery Rebate Credit Worksheet?

The TurboTax software adds together the entries that you made for receiving stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2.

Then the software computes the amount of your stimulus check amounts based upon the information that has been entered into the tax software. 

If you are due an additional amount, it will be issued as a Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return.

If you believe that the Rebate Recovery Credit (RRC) on line 30 of the 2020 1040 tax return is not correct, then you should: 

• Check the amounts entered for stimulus check 1 and stimulus check 2, and
  • Make sure that you have correctly entered your dependent information. 

If there is a difference, it is in one or both of these situations. 

I understand that, it is not actually an answer to my question though since I cannot access the page to enter my stimulus. I literally do not get any single option to enter the stimulus page at any point of filing my taxes. I have done every step explained to me several times, I have clickeed into ever single page and option available in my 2020 taxes, and NEVER see the page to check if I got the correct stimulus. It does not come up for me. I'm seriously about to try another software.

Did taxes with another software, and was able to access the stimulus option on their system. We do not qualify for the second stimulus or a recovery rebate, which is likely why TurboTax did not present the stimulus page option. Still as someone right on the cusp of qualifying or not, it was helpful to be able to see the page ourselves and enter the numbers and get that answer rather than just not having the option at all.

Anyways it worked out. For whatever reason we get $40 more back with the other software.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies