Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

a219112m

Does the website allow me to file my state and federal separately. So can I file my state one month and my federal the next month? If so how would I do that

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Does the website allow me to file my state and federal separately. So can I file my state one month and my federal the next month? If so how would I do that

A state e-file cannot be accepted until the IRS has accepted your federal e-file, so if you want to e-file both returns, the federal one has to be e-filed first.  If you want to file by mail, you can mail them in either order.    If the issue is that you need your state refund in order to pay the tax due to the IRS on the federal return, tell the software that you will mail the IRS a check.  You do not really have to mail a check immediately.  You can e-file both returns, wait for the state refund, and then pay the IRS.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@a219112m why do you want to do it that way?

@a219112m generally any balance due on an individual income tax return (federal or state) is payable on or before 4/15 of year following the tax year. if you need your state refund to pay the federal balance due (or vice versa) in order to avoid penalties for late payment you have to e-file early enough so your refund arrives in time. The date Turbotax gives you for a refund is an estimate and some refunds arrive much later so you should file as early as possible

1.  If you select that you want to print and mail your returns, you can mail them at any convenient time.  If you want to e-file, you must e-file the federal at the same time as the state, or you must e-file the federal first and wait for it to be accepted, before e-filing the state return.  You can't e-file state first.

2. If you owe, you owed as of April 15, and the penalties and interest are piling up.  If you think you need your state refund to pay your federal tax bill, you can do that by mail, but it may take longer, causing more penalties.

3. If you have an extension to file to October 15, then the penalty for late filing and late paying is about 1.25% per month of what you owe.  But if you don't have an extension, the late filing penalty is 5% of what you owe per month, plus 0.75% interest.

4. Your best course usually is to e-file both returns now, but if you owe, indicate you will "pay by check."  Turbotax will not include a bank draft on your account.  Then, go to www.irs.gov/payments and make a voluntary payment of as much as you can afford.  Then pay the rest as soon as you can.  Expect to receive a bill for penalties and interest.

5. When you get your bill for the penalty, penalties can sometimes be waived for good cause (if you have a good cause).  Interest can't be waived, but if your application to waive the penalty is granted, the interest will be recalculate to not include the penalty in the interest charge. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies