Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jhigh2118

Does owing money on state taxes affect the timeline of your federal refund?

I still haven't received my refund when I filed before everyone I know that has.  The IRS website doesn't even show it as being processed.  The only difference in mine and anyone else's is I owed a little in state tax and set a date for them to withdraw it.  Do they wait to process my federal until state has been withdrawn?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Federal and state refunds come from completely separate entities.  There is no rule as to which one will come in first or how long it will be between their arrival in your account.  Payment to your state has nothing to do with the timing of your federal refund from the IRS.

Once your federal return has been accepted by the IRS, only the IRS has any control.  TurboTax does not receive any updates from the IRS. Your ONLY source of information about your refund now is the IRS.

You need your filing status, your Social Security number and the exact amount  (line 35a of your 2023 Form 1040) of your federal refund to track your Federal refund:   

https://www.irs.gov/refunds

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
jhigh2118

@xmasbaby0  Thank you for the quick answer.  I filed so long ago and everyone that filed after me has gotten there's.  Mine has just said accepted the whole time on the website so I have no idea what's going on or taking so long.  I even logged into my IRS account and it doesn't show that its processing or anything.  I may have to call them to figure it out.  

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

If you've checked the IRS website, that's the first step.

The IRS has stated that the typical time to process a tax return is 21 days, but there may be delays for many reasons.

You can check the status of your tax return.  You will need:

• Social Security Number.
  • Tax return year.
  • Hilling Status.
  • Exact refund amount

Please click here to enter your information         Check Your Refund .

If you wish to contact the IRS, you can call toll-free at 800-829-1040 or contact a Taxpayer Assistance Center Local IRS Office.

Be sure to have the information as stated above when you call.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies