Jmk0814

Does my ex husband need my children's social security number if he's not claiming them on his taxes?

My ex texted me today asking for our daughters' social security numbers for tax preparation. I was under the impression it isn't required information if they aren't being claimed as dependents. We had an issue years ago when he claimed our eldest and wasn't supposed to because he said the same thing: he needed her social, but not to claim as a dependent.

ThomasM125

You would only need a child's social security number for a tax return preparation if you intended to claim that child as your dependent.

ThomasM125