• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kerryhandschuh

Does anyone know if my dog walker would be considered a household employee if I have them come consistently each week? Would I need them to have a 1099?

I pay approximately $3,500 per year for a dog walker/sitter. I wasn't sure if they'd be considered a house hold employee. I do not have a contract signed with them but I do have weekly invoices.
2 Replies
macuser_22
Level 15

Does anyone know if my dog walker would be considered a household employee if I have them come consistently each week? Would I need them to have a 1099?

That is NOT a household employee.  A household employee is like a nanny or persons that provides services in yoir home.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
LenaH
Expert Alumni

No. A dog walker would not be considered a household employee. Per the IRS, a household employee is if you hired someone to do household work and you could control what work he or she did and how he or she did it, you had a household employee. In addition, household work is work done in or around your home. Some examples of workers who do household work are: Babysitters, Cooks, Maids, Butlers, Drivers, Nannies, Caretakers, Health aides, Private nurses, Cleaning people, Housekeepers, Yard workers, and etc. 

Schedule H Instructions

Privacy Settings
v