Do we file taxes this year if my husband has only received work comp all year?

My husband was on work comp all year and we have 3 kids so we qualify for the child tax and the earned in come tax ( in past years) plus we home school so we earn the teachers tax. plus we have to rent a car for every appointment for my husband (dr, therapy, etc..) and we have to pay for gas to go 2hrs away for the drs appointments and we have paid like $4 in meds. So can we file taxes?

God Bless you guys.  I have 3 kids and my husband was on workmans comp all year too.  Luckily I did some side work and was able to get a little something in return.  Keep fighting the good fight

Workers compensation is not taxable and does not get entered on a tax return.  But you will not be getting earned income credit based on workers comp.  You only get EIC based on income earned from working.  Since you have no tax liability for the workers compensation, you do not get child tax credit.  Itemized deductions such as medical expenses do you no good if you have not paid any taxes from which to receive a refund.

Unless there has been some other income for your houshold, you do not need to file a tax return.

As indicated above, you have no taxable income, and thus no reason or benefit to filing a tax return.

The workers' compensation insurance company may pay for your mileage, or even provide transportation for the medical appointments, so look into that.

Also look into filing for SSDI.