Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cfin1085
Returning Member

Do I send contractor Form 1099-NEC for 2023 tax year? Total payment was less than $20,000 and few than 200 transactions for the year.

I paid my contractor more than $600 in 2023 using my credit card connected to PayPal. Do I submit the form 1099-NEC for 2023 tax year for this contractor? I've seen conflicting messages over the last few years and understand that the IRS has postponed the threshold change again. Below is info from the IRS website, but in other places it also says the contractor would need to hit $20k or 200 transactions. Please advise!

Form 1099-K: Payments made with a credit card or payment card and certain other types of payments, including third-party network transactions, must be reported on Form 1099-K by the payment settlement entity under section 6050W and are not subject to reporting on Form 1099-NEC. See the separate Instructions for Form 1099-K.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do I send contractor Form 1099-NEC for 2023 tax year? Total payment was less than $20,000 and few than 200 transactions for the year.

If you pay by credit card you do NOT need to issue a 1099 to the contractor since they will already be getting a 1099-K from the CC processor ... the information does not need to be duplicated by you.

The CC/Debit card exception has always been in place ... you only need to 1099 payments made by cash or check.  The payment is captured on your CC or bank statements to support your proof of payment. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies