Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I qualify as a surviving spouse? I think there is a bug in TT Deluxe Windows

I think TurboTax has a bug and is telling me I qualify as a surviving spouse when I don't.

My adult then 23-year old child moved out of our house in Sept 2022.
My spouse died Nov 2022. I have not remarried.
My child did not live with me at any time in 2023.
My child made more than the maximum $4,700 in 2023.

But, when I go through all the questions, TT marks the radial box that I qualify anyway. When I go back and look at my answers, it has changed 0-months to 6-months that my child lived with me, which isn't correct.

I think I should mark that I do not qualify. Is there any reason that I would qualify given these facts?

How can I report a bug?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

If you are not claiming your child, why is he still listed on your 2023 return?   Delete the dependent you are no longer claiming in My Info.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The information was pulled over from my taxes for 2022. IN 2022, my child was my dependent, having just graduated college, no job, and living with us for 8-9 months, just leaving right before my spouse died suddenly. TurboTax already knows that my child is no longer a dependent. It was just trying to figure out if I now qualify as a surviving spouse. That's why I don't understand why it is asking since TT already determined they are no longer my dependent. I had planned to delete my child after all the pertinent questions were asked to make sure I was correct. It is TT's bug that is causing the issue.

@CindyKR When your filing status changes from filing a joint return to filing single, it is often better to just start a new online account with a new user ID.   That is because it is so hard and messy to remove all of the "stuff"  that gets pulled over from a joint return--- as you are experiencing.   You might want to just clear it and start over in an different account that you create for yourself.    And...again....so sorry for your loss.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-start-another-return-in-turbotax-onli...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

@CindyKR After my most recent reply to you, I discovered that you have another thread going in the forum in which you mention having a lot of investment information you need to carry forward.   So....you have a tricky situation....with the stuff that might still be attributed to your late spouse.....the dependent complication.....etc.   Have you considered upgrading and using one of the online "Live" versions so that a tax expert could help you get this all sorted out?   It costs more....but would likely be worth it for your situation.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-get-turbotax-live/00/27305

Thanks. I considered it. But, I have to finish filing tonight to avoid a penalty for a late estimated payment I didn't realize I needed to make, and I think I about have it figured out. 
I found it much easier tonight after getting TT on the CD instead of online, and after getting a lot of questions answered. I still have 2 documents that aren't right, but I will deal with it if I have to correct it if the companies send me corrected forms.

I did this all online first without pulling information over. Doing it on my computer by pulling all my information in from last year was much, much easier, in my opinion. I didn't have to reenter a lot of stuff.

My situation will get a lot more complicated in the future, so I will most likely have someone else do it at that time. Thanks for your suggestions.

@CindyKR Best regards......hope it all works out for you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies