Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
Your taxes, your way. Get expert help or do it yourself. >> Get started
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
weepin_moon1369

Do i put a form ssa-1099-sm here that i received as a representative payee for my minor child due to non custidial fathrrs disability benefits

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Marketstar
Level 7

Do i put a form ssa-1099-sm here that i received as a representative payee for my minor child due to non custidial fathrrs disability benefits

You should not enter a dependent's Social Security benefits reported on a SSA-1099 on your tax return.  

If the dependent earned no other income during the tax year, the income is not taxable or reportable and thus a tax return is not required.

If the child has enough other income to be required to file, then he/she should report the Social Security on his/her return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Marketstar
Level 7

You should not enter a dependent's Social Security benefits reported on a SSA-1099 on your tax return.  

If the dependent earned no other income during the tax year, the income is not taxable or reportable and thus a tax return is not required.

If the child has enough other income to be required to file, then he/she should report the Social Security on his/her return.

weepin_moon1369

Even though the 1099 says my name "for" her name right?
Marketstar
Level 7

Right!

About Community

Learn about taxes, budgeting, saving, borrowing, reducing debt, investing, and planning for retirement.

3.48m
Members

2.61m
Discussions

Manage cookies
v