Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to write a SSN on an IRS tax form to complete the form, or not?

In regards to filing my taxes for 2022, my daughter’s mother is choosing to not write her SSN (I already know it, because legally she put it on our MSA agreement) on the 8332 form, however she did sign her name and date it, while leaving the SSN section blank, on the 8332 form.

Will the IRS still accept this 8332 form with her signature, date, and no SSN number on it, or, due to the time constraint of the 8332 form needs to be mailed out by tomorrow (4-19-23) (because the IRS needs the 8332 form three days (4-19-23) after I receive a notice that they received my tax returns (they received them on 4-16-23)), and we live an hour away from each other (and I am willing to meet her to give her another opportunity to give her SSN), I am wondering if I am legally allowed to write her SSN onto the form and I’d sign and date it next to it, as a way of proof to say that I wrote it on the form and she did not.

Thank you.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Do I need to write a SSN on an IRS tax form to complete the form, or not?

NO.  You have to have the SSN in order for them to process the form.  They cannot process a form without it as they do not know who it is by just a name. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies