Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kruk

Do I need to sign the federal 1040 form when mailing in my State taxes?

Upfront info:  My wife and I file a Married filing jointly return federally.  I file a non-resident state return to NY (military member) because I am the only one who earns money in NY, my wife is a VA resident and is the only one who earns money in VA.  I know my wife can switch residencies through the SCRA, but she has to maintain VA residency for licensing with her job.

TurboTax directed me to create a fake married filed separate return to facilitate separate state tax returns.  I was able to file my federal and NY through efile, but I have to mail in my wife's VA return. When I go to file my wife's VA return (she is the only one with VA income) I am required to submit the "fake" federal 1040 form.  Does she need to sign that as well?  It is NOT the 1040 form that was filed to the federal government for our federal return.  The "fake" 1040 only has her income listed on it.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You should not send the "fake" Form 1040 when you file mail your wife's Virginia return.  You should send a copy of your actual Form 1040 that you filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kruk

Thanks.  It won't cause problems that my VA return is categorized as Married Filing Separately, but my Federal say married filing jointly?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

No, that will not be a problem. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kruk

I appreciate all the answer provided so far, but I just want to verify some details.

If I submit my wife's Virginia State Tax returns with the 1040 Form that I filed in our Federal return, then the **bleep**I listed on my Virginia return will not match the amount on the 1040 since the Federal 1040 form includes both mine and my wife's income.

If I submit the "fake" 1040 form I had to generate through TurboTax that ONLY included my wife's income (since she was the only one to have any Virginia taxable income), then the 1040 form submitted to the state of Virginia will not match what I submitted to the federal government.  If I do submit the fake form, I feel odd having my wife sign it because then it isn't an accurate signature, because that wasn't the form submitted.

I guess I am still not clear which form to submit.  Thanks.

@Kruk VA mailing instructions make no mention of the need to attach a copy of the federal 1040.  so as to what to do call them   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies