jonathan-hawkins

Do I need to sign my paper 1040A?

We were not able to e-file, so we chose to paper mail our tax return. Once I mailed, I realized I had not included either one of our signatures. Should I have signed our tax return prior to sending it to the IRS? How long can I expect it to take to receive my unsigned tax return back from the IRS? Will I be penalized if I cannot send it back signed prior to April 18, 2017?

IsabellaG

Do I need to sign my paper 1040A?

Yes, you should have signed it. The IRS will return the unsigned return to you for your signature. If you were to send another copy of your return, signed, it could slow down the processing of your return.

jonathan-hawkins

Do I need to sign my paper 1040A?

How long should I anticipate it taking for the IRS to send back my unsigned tax return? Will I be penalized if it is not signed prior to April 18, 2017?
IsabellaG

Do I need to sign my paper 1040A?

I can't give you a time frame, but I'm sure that you won't receive it by 4/18. If you are due a refund, there is no penalty. If you owe tax, make sure that you pay it by 4/18, and there will be no penalty.
jonathan-hawkins

Do I need to sign my paper 1040A?

If I wrote a note explaining my error and to ignore the previous return and sent another tax return signed, why would it slow down the process. I understand someone could mix it up..trying to be optimistic I suppose. Or could I call the IRS and explain?
IsabellaG

Do I need to sign my paper 1040A?

No, I wouldn't call. I can understand you not wanting to wait for the IRS to send your return back. It's not like you'd get a penalty for sending another return, but you'd have to decide if you wouldn't mind waiting if processing is delayed. I can't predict with any kind of certainty.
IsabellaG

Do I need to sign my paper 1040A?