turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to send a check in the mail if I set up direct debit for my payment plan?

I was prompted to print off a form to mail in that says I need to send in my first payment on my payment plan. I set up direct deposit, do I still need to do this?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to send a check in the mail if I set up direct debit for my payment plan?

If you requested an installment agreement with the IRS on Form 9465, and indicated that you’ll make an initial payment with your return, this initial amount must be paid by check with the 1040-V voucher.  This is true even if you requested direct debit of future payments.  The IRS takes 30 days (longer after March 31st) to process the installment agreement request and begin the direct debit payments.

View solution in original post

27 Replies
rvan631

If I requested a direct debit down-payment for a portion of my tax due and also requested an installment agreement on Form 9465 on the remaining balance, will that initial down-payment be processed as a direct debit or should I have submitted the down-payment in the form of a physical check sent with the 1040-V voucher?     Will the direct debit (bank routing/account #'s) I provided only be utilized for subsequent installment payments?    If I still have to send the down-payment separately, what is the quickest way to accomplish this as the IRS already has my return and is expecting my down-payment prior to their review for my installment agreement application??   Please Help!!
teelow6

efiled my reutrn with installment agreement.  what do i need to send to irs

If you requested an installment agreement with the IRS on Form 9465, and indicated that you’ll make an initial payment with your return, this initial amount must be paid by check with the 1040-V voucher.  This is true even if you requested direct debit of future payments.  The IRS takes 30 days (longer after March 31st) to process the installment agreement request and begin the direct debit payments.

So IF I am Sending the check on the 4/20/2016, since the mail has already run, am I considered late?
jbdwood

I called yesterday and spoke to a "tax expert" at turbo tax, who said I do not need to send a check...now I am worried that I should have sent one!  What is the real answer to this question, please!
Rob8706

You guys need to reword how that is written going through your check list process of payment to IRS!  I think there are many of us that did not understand this completely.
Rob8706

so now this is really confusing:  Do I need to mail a voucher if I paid my taxes electronically?
Answered by TurboTax

No. If you paid your IRS or state taxes electronically (direct debit, credit card, EFTPS, etc.) there's no need to print out and mail a payment voucher.
rvan631

Rob8706 -- I think the bigger question which is giving people like me issues is ...  if I requested a direct debit down-payment for a portion of my tax due and also requested an installment agreement on Form 9465 on the remaining balance, will that initial down-payment be processed as a direct debit or should I have submitted the down-payment in the form of a physical check sent with the 1040-V voucher?      If I still have to send the down-payment separately, what is the quickest way to accomplish this as the IRS already has my return and is expecting my down-payment prior to their review for my installment agreement application??   Please Help!!

Can someone clarify this? I need to know whether I should send via mail, wait for the direct debit or pay manually on the IRS site? What should I do it I made set up a direct debit but have no confirmation or idea when/if the money will be taken.
taxiid

Please Turbotax!  Answer the above question from rvan631 because I have the exact same question and need to know by tomorrow - tax day!!!

Hi All, I am the person who originally posted this question. From my experience: If you set up direct deposit with installments, or with a portion down then installments, you do not need to send a check in the mail. Pretty much, if you set up any sort of direct deposit installment, you do not need to send in a check in the mail. It is SUPER confusing, but I did it that way and had no issues with the IRS. Hope this helps!
taxiid

Do you know if there is a way to confirm that i selected direct debit for everything even after it has been filed?
taxiid

Also, when you did yours.  Did you set up and installment plan AND Enter an amount for the DOWN PAYMENT.  If so, did it print out a voucher and the installment agreement and tell you that you needed to mail it?  This is what is so confusing about it.

Hi Taxiid- I do not know if there is a way to double check if you selected direct deposit. Maybe you can review what you did in Turbo Tax?

I set up an installment plan with NO down payment. I still had to print out the vouchers and installment agreement, it did tell me to mail it in. I did not mail it in because I set up direct deposit.

I THINK, that IRS form has not been updated to reflect the option of direct deposit, and that is where this confusion stems from. Hope this helps!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies