Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to report game show winnings less than $600 if I did not receive a 1099-MISC form? If so, where do I report this and how?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Do I need to report game show winnings less than $600 if I did not receive a 1099-MISC form? If so, where do I report this and how?

You have to report all your income, no matter how little it is, whether or not you get a reporting form. You can report the winnings as "other income" on Schedule 1 line 8 with a description that you enter.

In the Search box in TurboTax type "lawsuit settlement" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to lawsuit settlement." I know that's not what you have, but it's the only search term I could find that gets you to the right place.

The first screen asks, "Any Other Taxable Income?" Click Yes.

On the next screen, "Other Taxable Income," enter a description such as "Game show prize" and enter the amount. Click Continue.

On the next screen click Done.

Question, if I have game show winnings (a trip) and due to covid we did not take the trip do I still have to report as income?  

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No, if you did not take the trip you do not have to report it.  If you take the trip in the future, you will need to report it as income even if you do not receive a 1099.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

You should always report any income that you receive. If you win a game show , you will receive a 1099-MISC form if the winnings are $600 or more. If the winnings are less than $600, you will not receive a 1099-MISC form, but you will still need to report the income on your tax return. You will report the income on Schedule C (Profit or Loss from Business) or Schedule E (Supplemental Income and Loss).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies