Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bluefido

Do I need to file taxes for my deceased brother who died intestate and I am not the administrator?

He was not married and had no children, so no heirs. His only income was from Social Security.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Do I need to file taxes for my deceased brother who died intestate and I am not the administrator?

There is no need to file a 2020 tax return for him if his Only income was from Social Security benefits.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You said you are not the administrator, but you didn't say whether an administrator has been appointed. If an administrator has been appointed, the administrator is responsible for all tax matters related to your brother's estate, including the final tax return, if one is required. You don't have to do anything about taxes.

I assume that your brother had some assets or possessions, and may have had some debts, even if only recent unpaid bills. Since he did not have a will, if no administrator has been appointed you should consult an estate lawyer about having yourself or someone else appointed as administrator to pay any debts and distribute any assets.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies