Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file out of state tax return

I live and work in Colorado in 2023. I also work remotely for a university in Georgia and did receive a W2 form from them. TurboTax suggests that I may need to file tax returns for both CO and GA states. Do I need to file a nonresident tax return for GA? I am confused. Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you only worked in Colorado, you do not need to file a GA return. Did you have any GA withholdings on your W2?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to file a GA non resident return to receive any taxes withheld back. Then there is nothing to amend next year. See the GA non-resident filing requirements here

View solution in original post

5 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you only worked in Colorado, you do not need to file a GA return. Did you have any GA withholdings on your W2?

@CatinaT1 Thank you for the answer! Yes, I have a GA tax withholding on the W2 form for that remote job, which is strange. I am contacting the HR department for that matter. But I don't think there is enough time for them to correct and issue a new W2 form to me before tax day, so I probably need to amend it next year if there is a mistake. For 2023 return, would you suggest filing CO state tax return only (ignore GA tax return) or filing both CO and GA using TurboTax (even W2 is incorrect)? Which one is easier / better if I need to amend it next year? Thanks

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will need to file a GA non resident return to receive any taxes withheld back. Then there is nothing to amend next year. See the GA non-resident filing requirements here

@PaulaM thanks! How can I do that in TurboTax? I am using the Premium version and I did try to file GA and CO state returns both. But TurboTax uses the W2 (with GA tax withholding) and shows I owe more to GA. Could you show me how to receive back the withholding? Or can I choose not to receive it back since it is only $40 and I don't want to spend more time fixing this.. Thanks

PaulaM
Expert Alumni

Enter you resident state info in the My info section, then enter your W-2 as normal and including both states information. When you get to the states, prepare the Georgia state tax return first, then the resident return. If you owe anything to GA, your resident state will give you a credit for the taxes paid. But you're probably due a refund.

You'll have to weigh the benefit of working your GA nonresident return with its costs to prepare in TurboTax. You could also prepare a paper GA return and mail it in for the cost of a stamp. 

Georgia State Forms

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies