turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need to file form 3115?

S-corporation had cash-basis books and was cash-basis taxpayer, didn't start to use invoices until the next year with accrued income. Once you have accounts receivable, the books are considered accrual. So would I have to file form 3115 to request a change of my overall method of accounting from cash to accrual? Would I have to change the checkbox from cash to accrual on 1120S Form, Schedule B Question 1. Or can I still be considered cash.

Thanks~

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Normally, you don't need to file a business return on the accrual basis unless your average sales are over $25 million dollars. It doesn't matter if you have receivables or payables, you can still file on the cash basis. Your sales would be the amount of deposits from sales and expenses would be the payments you made during the year. You just need to factor out your receivables and payables when you report your receipts and expenses.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

It also appears as if you would no longer have to file a 3115 for the change if you are a small business.

See https://www.thetaxadviser.com/issues/2022/may/new-accounting-method-change-procedures-small-business...

Thank you

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies