Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

waybig408

Do I need to do anything if my return was rejected because i filed jointly with my spouse?

I started to file separately, but the then I filed jointly with my spouse (as I got married last year), so my SSN is listed on our joint tax return i.e. MFJ. In the meantime, my single return was rejected as it should be. How do I delete it if it has been transmitted and rejected by IRS? I do not need to correct errors, I just need to delete it. 

For next year's filing 2017,file by April 15, 2019, I will file jointly with my husband's login to Turbo Tax. I will still need to access Turbo Tax for my previous years tax returns 2016 and before. 

Any further steps that I need to take?

[name deleted]

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I need to do anything if my return was rejected because i filed jointly with my spouse?

Congratulations, and Relax! A rejected return is same as if you never tried to file one, so no corrective measures required.

As for next year - Unfortunately, there is no way to merge premarital files. One of you will become 'Primary Taxpayer', the other  - Spouse - will have to manually enter applicable prior year info. You will still be able to access prior years with established protocols ...

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Congratulations, and Relax! A rejected return is same as if you never tried to file one, so no corrective measures required.

As for next year - Unfortunately, there is no way to merge premarital files. One of you will become 'Primary Taxpayer', the other  - Spouse - will have to manually enter applicable prior year info. You will still be able to access prior years with established protocols ...

waybig408

Wow! That was a fast and thorough response. I am super impressed. Thanks!

You're quite welcome! Enjoy the transition ...
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies