Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I need ID me for children given years of TurboTax eFilings?

I have filed my taxes with TurboTax for my family for many years (10+), which recently, includes the PIN. Does that mean I am protected from someone else (without the PIN) from fraudulently filing taxes on my name? What about against my kids?

I had two co-workers report today of the challenges they have had because someone obtained the SSN of their kids and filed taxes claiming them as dependents. I'm trying to prevent that, see if I should go for the ID Me, and/or anything else. Note, nothing has happened to me, no divorces, no alternate parents, I am just trying to be pre-emptive to potential identify theft because of my co-workers experience, but wondered if already having years of TurboTa eFiles could prevent that already.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do I need ID me for children given years of TurboTax eFilings?

The 5 digit self-selected PIN used to e-file the tax return is not the same as a 6 digit Identity Protection PIN issued each year by the IRS.

If ID theft concerns you, then you should request an IP PIN from the IRS for yourself, spouse and children.  If you do then you will have to use the IP PIN's on every tax return you will ever file with the IRS.

Go to this IRS website for an IP PIN - https://www.irs.gov/identity-theft-fraud-scams/get-an-identity-protection-pin

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies