Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do i include social security tip wages in the officers compensation total on form 1120s

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DanielV01
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Do i include social security tip wages in the officers compensation total on form 1120s

Yes, in a manner of speaking.  The easiest way to report the officers' compensation is to take the highest number that you see in boxes 1, 3, and 5 (generally box 5).  This amount includes the wages, the social security wages, tips, all of the withholdings, and all of the 401K and health insurance premium deductions.  This way, you only have to report the Social Security and Medicare taxes that were paid by the company as well as matching amounts.  

In other words, rather than adding boxes 3 and 7, you may choose to use box 5 instead, which has all of the wage information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DanielV01
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

Yes, in a manner of speaking.  The easiest way to report the officers' compensation is to take the highest number that you see in boxes 1, 3, and 5 (generally box 5).  This amount includes the wages, the social security wages, tips, all of the withholdings, and all of the 401K and health insurance premium deductions.  This way, you only have to report the Social Security and Medicare taxes that were paid by the company as well as matching amounts.  

In other words, rather than adding boxes 3 and 7, you may choose to use box 5 instead, which has all of the wage information.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

In my S Corp, we put $19,000 of employee deferral and had health insurance so my amounts won’t match box 3 and box 5. Do I need to include a statement to irs explaining this?example:

salary 22,000

employee deferral $19000

health insurance $3000 so box 1 $6,000 box 3&5 $22,000

on the amount asking for wages- id put $25000. Do I need to attach statement to irs explaining why the W3 wages and my input don’t match or can they automatically figure this out? It has red flag on bottom to make sure they match. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies