Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

khans6uf

Do I have to remove the excess 401k contribution from my w2 (income section) after having report them as misc. income in TT to efile? TT will not let me efile otherwise.

I had an excess contribution to 401k of about $1442 due to a job change in 2018. I informed my employer and they have requested a refund of the excess amount. I also followed TT's instructions on how to report excess contribution through the miscellaneous income section. After doing all that, TT is still not allowing me to efile as it is giving me the error "TP is more than the allowed $18500 for a 401k plan. Please check your entries on your w2 for 401k plans"

Should i manually correct my box 12 entries in the w2 section to be 18500 as I already reported the excess in the miscellaneous income section? Will that not cause issues with the IRS as the numbers on the w2 will not match the numbers i am filing? what is the other option I have to make sure i am doing the correct thing so that TT allows me to efile. FYI, I have not received my 1099 R for this excess income and will only get it in 2020 i believe

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies
Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Do I have to remove the excess 401k contribution from my w2 (income section) after having report them as misc. income in TT to efile? TT will not let me efile otherwise.

No, you should not manually correct your Box 12 entries on your W2.  You have taken the right steps to include your 401(K) contribution on your 2018 Tax Return.

At this point, you are running into an e-filing issue within TurboTax.  An update to fix the issue is expected to be released around 4/5/2019.  You can check out this TurboTax FAQ for more information: Excess 401(k) Contribution Preventing E-filing.

Be sure to sign up for updates to be alerted as soon as there is a solution.  If you do not want to wait for an update, you have the option to paper file your tax returns as this is only an e-filing issue.

@Rachel_W, has this been resolved? It's 4/6/2019 and I'm still not able to e-file because of this issue.
kenmitt

@VArora: Is there a plan for resolution and is the eFile issue scheduled be resolved before 4/15/2019, or is TT punting until after tax day which would be pretty lame for a leading tax software tool for such a simple fix that is already checked for earlier in the tax filing/review process ?
khans6uf

I got a note that hey won’t be able to fix the bug and I have to file by mail. Completely ridiculous and disingenuous considering that you only get to know about it after you have paid TT. Don’t even know how to request a refund
Jay5

Same here, still unable to e-file after updating today. Now the FAQ says to paper file with this issue.
ronakp

@VArora:  This is ridiculous.  This is both a common problem and something that happens every year for people.  Why can't this be resolved -- I didn't file waiting for this to be fixed and now telling me to paper file?

This is kinda crazy... It's 4/6 and no update to an obvious issue?   Makes me wonder how reliable TT is.
ammpet

this is sooooooo frustrating and disappointing, if this cannot be resolved for this year, I will never come back again, and i need a refund.
khans6uf

@TurboTaxRachelW @VArora how do we request a refund or a discount?
kimjh0

I would like to get a refund as well.  This is not professional at all.
pimathur

@TurboTaxRachelW - Same here. This is really terrible. I would like a refund as well. I even signed up for your Premier edition thinking I was doing something wrong until I found out about this bug.

It’s uacceptable this software error prevents e-filing. My state requires e-filing because of my tax liability (and TT charged my $25 to file my state return!). When will this issue be fixed?
nh82

I tried calling the TurboTax help line.  The person there told me that the "bug" was fixed and if I couldn't file it meant that I was required to paper file.  This doesn't make sense as I had a similar issue in the past when either my wife or I changed jobs before.  He suggested that the only way I could try to delete my entire return and start over, which is also nuts.  
cozmo920

Turbo Tax Fix your software, this is ridiculous! You managed to charge me the e-file fee first yet you will not let me e-file due to your bug.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies