Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mwhyte

Do i file two income tax? one personal and one for my llc

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Depends what kind of LLC you have.  If it is a Single Member LLC that is not an S corp it is a disregarded entity and you file it on Schedule C in your personal tax return.

You might need to, or you might not.  It depends on any elections you might have made for the LLC.

A single-member LLC is a disregarded entity in the eyes of the IRS, i.e., it doesn't exist as a taxpayer or an entity that needs to file its own income tax return.  All the business activity of the LLC is deemed your business activity.  Accordingly, there's no need to file a separate income tax return for the LLC, for federal purposes.  (I believe states generally follow the same process here as the IRS, but you might need to prepare some sort of separate report to the state in which the LLC is organized - a report that certainly looks like an "income tax return" - so the state can assess fees for the "privilege" of having the LLC organized in that state.)

If you've made an election for the LLC to be taxed as a C-Corp or Sub-S Corp then the LLC will have to file an income tax return.  A Sub-S Corp won't pay income tax but will "pass through" the corporation's activities to you on a Schedule K-1.  A C-Corp will pay income tax if the C-Corp is profitable, and you'll pay income tax on any dividends received from the C-Corp.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies