d-vizcaino92

Do I file taxes as a dependent if my parents pay for more than half of my expenses?

She may be able to claim you as a dependent under the Qualifying Relative rules if you meet all the requirements.

To be a Qualifying Relative -

1. The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer. A child is not the qualifying child of any other taxpayer if the child's parent (or any other person for whom the child is defined as a qualifying child) is not required to file an income tax return or files an income tax return only to get a refund on income tax withheld.

2. The person either (a) must be related to you or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household. 

3. The person's gross income for the year must be less than $4,050 (social security does not count) in 2017

4. You must provide more than half of the person's total support for the year.

5. The person must be a U.S. citizen or a U.S., Canada, or Mexico resident for some part of the year.

6. The person must not file a joint return with their spouse.

Carl

Were you a college student in 2017?
d-vizcaino92

Yes

How old are you?
d-vizcaino92

25
d-vizcaino92

Damn i forgot to mention the most important part... My mom who is claiming me as her dependent lives in Mexico

Did you have gross income in 2017 of $4,050 or more?
d-vizcaino92

no
Carl

If you were NOT under the age of 24 on Dec 31 (and you were not) and if you have more than $4,050 of earned income in 2017, then your parents do not qualify to claim you as a dependent on their tax return. Period. Support doesn't matter. So did you have more than $4,050 of taxable income in 2017?

@Carl   $4,050 of income (not just earned income)
@d.vizcaino92   Any scholarships or grants?
Carl

Yes. I should have stated "reportable" income.

To be a Qualifying Relative -