Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

pistolio

Do I attach a form with my California check for taxes I owe

My CAL 540 shows I owe taxes and should include a check. TT included a bunch of forms for estimated taxes, but none to include with this years payment. I think I recall from last year that there is a form that should accompany the current tax check. Is there? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ddaven12

Yes, If you have California taxes due you would mail your check along with the Form FTB 3582- Payment Voucher. The payment voucher should be included, however if the voucher is not included in your printed forms you can print it here https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2017/17_3582.pdf.

Please be sure to write your Social Security Number and tax year on your payment and mail to:

FRANCHISE TAX BOARD

PO BOX 942867

SACRAMENTO CA 94267-0008

Note: As an alternative to mailing your payment you can also pay online at the State of California Franchise Tax Board website https://www.ftb.ca.gov.

pistolio

The question was asked a year ago.

Form 3582 is for e-filed returns only. The title at the top of the form is "Payment Voucher for Individual e-filed Returns CALIFORNIA FORM 3582 (e-file)." At the bottom of the form is the warning "Do not mail a paper copy of your tax return with this payment voucher."

Furthermore, the Form 3582 instructions say, "Use form FTB 3582, Payment Voucher for Individual e-filed Returns, ONLY if BOTH of the following apply: 1) You filed your tax return electronically AND
2) You have a balance due and pay with a check or money order." 

The Form 540 instructions for mailing your return say to include your payment, followed by your Form 540 return, followed by a copy of your federal return. There's not one little word about including a payment voucher.

If the FTB wanted you to use a payment voucher with your Form 540 paper return, wouldn't they call it "Form 540-V"?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies