Solved: Divorced, Remarried, and a baby in 1 year

ferrisb87

Divorced, Remarried, and a baby in 1 year

I received my divorce decree in 2020, I married another person in 2020, and I had a baby in 2020. Does this affect how I file my taxes? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

bluedeb

Since you were married at the end of 2020, then you could file as Married Filing Joint.  Your divorce would not affect your return since you are married.  You can claim your baby on your 2020 return, when they ask how long the baby has lived with you, put lived with me all year.

bluedeb

You file according to your situation as of December 31, 2020. (Child yes, spouse #2).

If you were in a business with spouse #1, things may be complicated.  But for a personal return that does not include a schedule C business or farm or something, this is straightforward. 

NCperson

also, without Baby's social security number entered the software won't work correctly

there is a weirdly asked question about support asking did THE CHILD provide more than 50% of his support - answer NO.

you should see the $1100 of stimulus for the child on Line 30 of Form 1040 (unless your income limits the payment)