turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Divorced, Remarried, and a baby in 1 year

I received my divorce decree in 2020, I married another person in 2020, and I had a baby in 2020. Does this affect how I file my taxes? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Since you were married at the end of 2020, then you could file as Married Filing Joint.  Your divorce would not affect your return since you are married.  You can claim your baby on your 2020 return, when they ask how long the baby has lived with you, put lived with me all year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Since you were married at the end of 2020, then you could file as Married Filing Joint.  Your divorce would not affect your return since you are married.  You can claim your baby on your 2020 return, when they ask how long the baby has lived with you, put lived with me all year.

You file according to your situation as of December 31, 2020. (Child yes, spouse #2).

If you were in a business with spouse #1, things may be complicated.  But for a personal return that does not include a schedule C business or farm or something, this is straightforward. 

also, without Baby's social security number entered the software won't work correctly

there is a weirdly asked question about support asking did THE CHILD provide more than 50% of his support - answer NO.

you should see the $1100 of stimulus for the child on Line 30 of Form 1040 (unless your income limits the payment)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies