Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

katej

Divorced. Joint Custody. Each year switch claiming son. 2019 ex claimed. He made too much to qualify for stimulus. I don't. I claim this year. Eligible Recovery Rebate?

Just wondering if there's a way to get a recovery rebate or credit as my ex-husband made too much money to have qualified for the stimulus and claimed our son in 2019. No child support issued - joint 50/50 - great co-parenting in play. I make nowhere near that and would have qualified to receive a stimulus for our son. 2020 is my year to claim our son, am I eligible for any credit,rebate,etc?  Probably not - just thought I'd ask!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

Divorced. Joint Custody. Each year switch claiming son. 2019 ex claimed. He made too much to qualify for stimulus. I don't. I claim this year. Eligible Recovery Rebate?

You will get the stimulus payment for your son if he is your dependent on your 2020 tax return. 

The credit is based on the number of dependents you claim on your 2020 return.  

Even if your spouse had received an advance payment based off their 2019 return, you would still be eligible in 2020.  The rebate is only based on the number of dependents claimed on the 2020 return, and not who they were or if a payment was made in their name previously. 

I am doing my taxes and I'm in a similar situation. I am the custodial parent. Ex gets child maybe 24 days a year. He got her to claim her exemption last year for 2019 as we trade off years. He got her IRS COVID child tax rebates both times last year.

My understanding was that I would be able to claim her on my taxes this year in 2020 and the child tax rebates would comes to me on my taxes. However, when I am doing my taxes, it is asking if I received $1200 and $600 and I replied yes and it says good, that it what you should have received!  Ummm, no, it's not!!

How do I force Tubro Tax to fix this?

If you are claiming the child on your 2020 return and have not received the stimulus for you or your child you should answer NO  when  it asked if you received them. 

I received the stimulus for myself just not for my child who lives with me. Still say no?

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

The 2019 stimulus check was based on the 2019 return.  The 2020 stimulus check is based on the 2020 return.

Regarding the 2021 stimulus check 

Do I need to apply to get a stimulus check?

You don’t need to do anything to get your stimulus check. The IRS will determine eligibility based on your last tax return (either 2019 or 2020) and will likely send your payment to the bank account where your tax refund was deposited.

When will I get my stimulus check?

The IRS has begun distributing stimulus payments and we expect people could receive their stimulus payments as early as next week (March 17th).  

For information on when you can expect your stimulus payment, check the IRS Get My Payment tool which will be updated starting the week of March 15th.

Expanded Child Tax Credit

Starting in tax year 2021, the Plan increases the Child Tax Credit from $2,000 to:

• $3,600 for each child under 6
  • $3,000 for each child age 6–17

It also makes the credit fully refundable, meaning you’ll be eligible to get it even if you don’t owe taxes.

Starting in July, payments for the Credit will be sent in advance so you won’t have to wait to file your 2021 taxes to receive that amount.

You don’t have to do anything to get these payments. The IRS will likely determine eligibility based on your most recent tax filing.

Regarding 2021 Earned Income Credit

Starting in tax year 2021, the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) has been expanded for workers without kids and nearly triples the maximum credit. Eligibility is also extended for a wider range of tax filers, including those who are over 65 or between the ages of 19–25.

When you file your return next year, we’ll check if you qualify and ensure you get the maximum credit amount you can.

Yes for the 1200 and no for the 600. 

@JenF1  How old is your child?  Had to be under 17 on Dec 31, 2020 to get the Stimulus payment and Child Tax Credits.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies