Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Disaster Distrubtion question still popping up for 2023

I know I'm early, but when trying to file for 2023, there is still the Disaster Distribution question. I know I did this for years 2020, 2021, and 2022.  Its asking if I took a distribution between 2018-2022, should I say no? If I say yes, the question area hasn't updated and says to come back. I've paid the three thirds back already. Should I just wait to see if the system updates?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

When reading the description of declaring disaster distributions in 2018 thru 2022, you are asked to select Yes if you need to report 1/3 of your amount of your distribution from a prior year.

Since you have already reported the 2020 distribution and paid 1/3 of the amount over the prior three years you should answer NO, I didn't.

Ok, so again, I know its still not time to file, BUT when I say NO, i don't need to report 1/3 of my disaster related distribution, I go to wrap up my return and it tells me I still have to wait until the new Disaster Distribution and Repayments forms come out. Again, I've paid these on 2020-2022 returns. I wonder why I cant file until these forms are ready if I dont have anything else to pay? 

@m06wc21 wrote:

Ok, so again, I know its still not time to file, BUT when I say NO, i don't need to report 1/3 of my disaster related distribution, I go to wrap up my return and it tells me I still have to wait until the new Disaster Distribution and Repayments forms come out. Again, I've paid these on 2020-2022 returns. I wonder why I cant file until these forms are ready if I dont have anything else to pay? 

The Form 8915-F Worksheet and the Form 8915-F along with the Form 1099-R were transferred from the 2022 tax return and need to be deleted.  There may also be a "Qualified Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions" and/or a "2020 Disaster Distribution" form listed that has to be deleted.

If you are using the TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions installed on your personal computer, click on Forms.

When in Forms mode locate these forms on the left side of the screen.  Click on the form to open each one and at the bottom of the screen click on Delete Form

If using the TurboTax online editions - 

Click on Tax Tools on the left side of the online program screen

Click on Tools

Click on Delete a form

Holy Cow I just realized that - I happened to look at my end result income and it was pulling a 1099 R from 2020-2023 for $8500. I can really just delete a form? Or should I wait until Jan 31 to see if the systems rights itself?

There is no guarantee that an updated Form 8915-F will solve this problem.  Delete the forms

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies