Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

Since your 2020 Disaster Distribution was from a 401K, your entries should be in the fields in the section 'from Retirement plans other than IRA's.'  

You will need Form 8915-E from your 2020 return for the Line 9 and Line 10 amounts. 

You probably should not have an entry in the 'from IRA' section unless the IRA box was checked on your 1099-R. 

If you can clarify what type of error you are receiving, we'll try to help. 

Here's more info on Form 8915-F

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Disaster Distribution

Thanks Marilyn so I seem to have everything but when I go to wrap up I get pictured below. Also it wants an ending date that I’m unsure of. 

94B9F604-F609-48B0-9F6B-06A52C688D14.jpeg

3C0D3B41-1104-4C9E-AA24-B726F88AB554.jpeg

Disaster Distribution

Didn’t seem to go through 

1E05AAA8-9154-4019-9330-13D26EE21503.jpeg

MarilynG
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

You don't need a Form 8915-E in your 2021 return.  You can delete this form and this should resolve the error. 

Disaster Distribution

So I deleted 8915 but it asks if I took a 2020 qualified distribution…if I click yes won’t that bring that form again ?  Thanks for your help 

Dave_T
Returning Member

Disaster Distribution

So if I look at mine I see an 8915-F form, which should be there because I took a 401K distribution related to covid and spread it out over 3 years. The only thing I'm stuck on is the checks at the end. What support told me is that this should be resolved on March 31st, so I assume there is another update coming out tomorrow. So I'm thinking that if you need to file an 8915-F, TurboTax is not going to allow you to finish your return until the update comes out. Anyway, that's my take on things.

Disaster Distribution

This worked for me!  I was getting the form error...this resolved it. 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

You need to click yes to the disaster distribution for 2020 to get the 8915F. If you have already been through that section and deleted the 8915-E, then you do not need to go through the section again. Once the new update is released, we will all know more.

@sims473

Disaster Distribution

So basically we have to wait until after the 31st? Also is there a difference filing on mobile or pc? 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

Individuals posting on this thread have been able to file.  I was able to report Qualified 2020 Disaster Distributions from Part II and Part III from the 2020 8915-E by following these steps.

• Go to Federal / Wages & Income / Retirement Plans and Social Security / IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).
  • Click Start / Revisit to the right.
  • At the screen Did you receive any 1099-R forms? select No.
  • At the screen Have you ever taken a disaster distribution before 2021?, Click Yes.
  • At the screen Did you take a 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution?, enter 8915F and 8915E information.

I also reported that:

• I did not repay any 2020 Qualified Disaster Distribution in 2021.
  • I did not report a disaster distribution in 2017, 2018 or 2019.
  • The screen Did you take a disaster distribution at any time between 2018 and 2020? you are instructed to select YES if you need to report 1/3 of the amount of your distribution from a prior year.  That has already been done.  Select No, I didn't.

You may view the distributions on the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return at Tax Tools / Tools / View Tax Summary / Preview my 1040.  You may view Form 8915-F at Tax Tools / Print Center / Print, save or preview this year's return / Include government and TurboTax worksheets.

Form 8915-F Part II distributions may be found on line 5b of the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return.  The distribution is not reflected in box 5a.  See entries for Part II of Form 8915-F on lines 12, 13 and 15.

Form 8915-F Part III distributions may be found on line 4b of the 2021 Federal 1040 tax return.  The distribution is not reflected in box 4a.  See entries for Part III of Form 8915-F on lines 23, 24 and 26.

[03/30/2022 2:20 PM PST]

@sims473

Disaster Distribution

Thanks for your input, I’m still getting a review for disaster name. Before on “did you take a distribution between 2018 and 2020?” I checked yes and corona was disaster name but asked be disaster end date. Now it’s disaster name. This is driving me insane.

Disaster Distribution

Use none for the name of the disaster

Disaster Distribution

I put “none” under disaster name and I didn’t get any reviews. Will it get accepted? 

Disaster Distribution

I took a disaster distribution in 2020 and just received a letter from the IRS wanting to adjust my numbers and it looks like they aren't seeing that I opted to break down the payment over the 3 years.  I looked back at my 2020 return that I filed through Turbo Tax and the Form 8915E is there.  Any suggestions as I cannot get a hold of anyone at the IRS.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Disaster Distribution

The IRS letter is for 2020, saying you owe tax on the full amount, You have the 8915-E in your return. There should be a page to say you disagree with the IRS and send them a copy of the 8915-E with the section highlighted.

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with tax letters. Click on the blue button that says "Get help from TurboTax support" after you click here. You will also want to visit the IRS website for notices, click here.

Reference: About Form 8915-E, Qualified 2020 Disaster Retirement Plan Distributions and Repayments (Use for Cor...

@maryk3

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies