Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ras13002

Didn't file taxes last year AND changed my name last year. Do I need a corrected w-2 from last year?

Hi,

- I changed my name legally in 2021 (NOT because of marriage; I changed my entire first, middle and last name). I updated the name with the SSA as well.

- I didn't file taxes for 2021, and now in 2023 I need to file for 2021 because I need the refund and to pay taxes (I just finished filing 2022 taxes). 

My W-2 for 2021 has my old name. My social security card has my new name since a year ago. What to do? 

Do I need my employer to correct the name for 2021? (the name change happened on December 2021 so technically I was still working under my old name for most of the 2021 year).

Thanks

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Didn't file taxes last year AND changed my name last year. Do I need a corrected w-2 from last year?

The name on the tax return and the name on the W-2 do not have to match.  Only the Social Security numbers must be the same.  There is no need for a corrected 2021 W-2.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

It is doubtful whether the employer would correct or change a 2021 W-2 at this point if they were asked.  I assume that you will be filing the 2021 tax return under the new name.

I agree with DoninGA that the IRS is reporting your W-2 income under your Social Security number and not the new name or the old name.  The Social Security number being unchanged is the most important factor.

If the tax return cannot be electronically filed, mail in the tax return with a cover letter that explains the timeline of the name change.  

I would include documentation of the legal processes that were involved.  Do not enclose original documents.  Use certified mail and expect the processing to take many weeks.

@ras13002 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies