turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gm. I was just wondering ...If I'm only receiving $24 back form my State Taxes why do y'all want me to pay $37.00 to file? You are taking more than i'm receiving.

When I 1st started doing my Taxes i was only paying one fee. Why two fees? and i'm not getting any money back from State.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Gm. I was just wondering ...If I'm only receiving $24 back form my State Taxes why do y'all want me to pay $37.00 to file? You are taking more than i'm receiving.

The preparation fees are not related in any way to the amount of your Federal or State refunds.  The fees are for the use of the software and the preparation of your return and, since you are in Deluxe, there are separate charges for Federal and State returns.  So, if you were receiving a large refund (or even if you owed State taxes), the fee would still be $37 for each state preparation.

However, if you think a Form1040 EZ/A (no itemized deductions) is sufficient for your tax return, you may be able to use a Free version. To get back to it, you will need to use the Clear and Start Over function (follow the steps in the article below). Please remember that this will start your return over and you will lose any information that has already been entered. 

[edited on 1/16/17 at 6:49 am]

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288495

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The preparation fees are not related in any way to the amount of your Federal or State refunds.  The fees are for the use of the software and the preparation of your return and, since you are in Deluxe, there are separate charges for Federal and State returns.  So, if you were receiving a large refund (or even if you owed State taxes), the fee would still be $37 for each state preparation.

However, if you think a Form1040 EZ/A (no itemized deductions) is sufficient for your tax return, you may be able to use a Free version. To get back to it, you will need to use the Clear and Start Over function (follow the steps in the article below). Please remember that this will start your return over and you will lose any information that has already been entered. 

[edited on 1/16/17 at 6:49 am]

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3288495

Did you upgrade to Deluxe by mistake?  Have you already paid and filed?  If not, you may be able to downgrade to Free Edition if you didn't previously register--IF you can use a Form 1040A or 1040EZ.   If you need a Form 1040, Schedule A, etc. then you need Deluxe.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies