Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Did anybody else get a California state tax refund paper check recently (June 28th) for tax year 2021? Seems fishy to me but I already got a direct deposit in 2022.

I was not expecting this at all so maybe I'm just not informed but I did find the following that may be related but it's hard to know. Otherwise, there is nothing on the paper check from the California Franchise Tax Board that indicates why I'm getting this other than Fund Name: Tax Refund Account. Any ideas? Thanks for any help with this. https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-issues-guidance-on-state-tax-payments-to-help-taxpayers

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
capiower
Expert Alumni

Did anybody else get a California state tax refund paper check recently (June 28th) for tax year 2021? Seems fishy to me but I already got a direct deposit in 2022.

Congratulations on the extra money you received! You say it was for Tax year 2021, this could be because a tax payment you made was applied to the wrong year, 

Received a refund but didn't expect it

Common reasons
Reason What to do
Your payment went to the wrong year If you know your payment went to the wrong year, send the refund check back to us with a letter explaining what happened.

Send a letter with:

• Your name
  • A statement that your payment was applied to the wrong year
  • The correct tax year for the payment
  • Original refund check
    • Endorse the back of the check: Pay to the order of FTB (don’t write VOID on the check)

Mail these items to:

Returned Warrant Desk MS F283
      Franchise Tax Board
      PO Box 942867
      Sacramento CA 94267-0001

If you’re unsure why you received a refund, contact us.

The best thing to do in this case would be to contact CA FTB and find out why you received this extra refund. 

you can contact them here https://www.ftb.ca.gov/help/contact/phone-fax.html

I hope this resolves your question.

Michelle T. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
capiower
Expert Alumni

Congratulations on the extra money you received! You say it was for Tax year 2021, this could be because a tax payment you made was applied to the wrong year, 

Received a refund but didn't expect it

Common reasons
Reason What to do
Your payment went to the wrong year If you know your payment went to the wrong year, send the refund check back to us with a letter explaining what happened.

Send a letter with:

• Your name
  • A statement that your payment was applied to the wrong year
  • The correct tax year for the payment
  • Original refund check
    • Endorse the back of the check: Pay to the order of FTB (don’t write VOID on the check)

Mail these items to:

Returned Warrant Desk MS F283
      Franchise Tax Board
      PO Box 942867
      Sacramento CA 94267-0001

If you’re unsure why you received a refund, contact us.

The best thing to do in this case would be to contact CA FTB and find out why you received this extra refund. 

you can contact them here https://www.ftb.ca.gov/help/contact/phone-fax.html

I hope this resolves your question.

Michelle T. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

California should send you a letter explaining it in a couple weeks.  Does it look official?  It might be fake or a scam.  You don't recognize the amount as anything?  It's not for the CA Middle Class Tax Refund?  I assume you meant you got the 2021 Direct Deposit in 2022 when you filed.  Could it be a small amount like for interest?  Or you left off an estimated payment you made or an extension payment or applied your 2020 refund to 2021?  Could be lots of reasons.  

I contacted the CA FTB via their online chat and they basically said they were sending the rest of the refund without letting me know why. I do have a faint memory of being bummed about only getting half of the refund but seems legit. Not sure why they didn't just use direct deposit again but, problem solved. Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies