Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hdwatson

Desk Top Version File Location

Basic Question:

When and where is the tax return file created (not the PDF)? Does it reside in a temporary location while the return is in process or is it created when the return is finalized and written in the .tax file for the tax year being prepared ?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

The tax data file is stored, by default, in the TurboTax folder located in the Documents directory.  The tax data file is created when you Save the tax return on exit or you can click on the File menu at the top left of the program screen and click on Save or Save as...

hdwatson

Thank you, but what I find in that folder is only the print PDF files . There is no .tax2022 file there. In my previous tax years, the .tax#### files and PDFs were stored together in that folder. The .tax2022 file seems to be located elsewhere. Is it possible that the .tax file(s) are not placed in the TurboTax folder until the current tax year program application is uninstalled? I can't seem to figure this out. 

The 2022 tax data file, .tax2022, is stored in the TurboTax folder.  I am using the 2022 Premier edition and that is where all my data files are stored.

Assuming that you did Save the tax return either on exiting the program or saving the return from the File menu, the data file should be in the TurboTax folder.  If not, somehow the default location was changed.

Do a search on all your local and remote drives including the any cloud drives for the data file.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies