ahmed_891

dependt

I am student i recessive financial aid i cover half of my expenses like food gas books and tuition . i live with my parent. my parent does not file taxes. my brother and sister also recessive financial aid and we live together. So my parent pays the rent me and I, my brother , and sister pay food gas bills and our individuals experiences. i am 23 years old my brother 24 years my sister 20 years old. My parent will not file taxes. 

Am i independent or dependent same question goes to my brother and sister ?

LinaJ2020

dependt

It depends.  

You would need to check closely to see if you and your siblings qualify to be claimed as a dependent, especially the criteria if you provide yourselves half of your own support.  Click here:

Credit for Other Dependents

Note that if your parents qualify to claim you, but did not actually claim on their return, in the program, under your account, you would still need to check the box Somebody can claim me on their return.  The same rules go to your siblings. 

@ahmed_891

ahmed_891

dependt

Okay thanks for your reply @LinaJ2020 . I applied and i did what you said Someone can calm me box. I got accepted. My brother applied but did not put the calm and he got accepted can he fix this mistake or not. 

MaryK1101

dependt

If your brother already filed, he will have to amend his return to change it.

@ahmed_891