Nrwgngrl

Dependents

I retired November 2021, this tax year we will only be reporting my husband’s retirement income, as I am not drawing from my retirement. Should he be claiming 2 or 1 on his W4?

LaceyL

Dependents

Hello!

On the current W4, Dependents on Step 3 are referring to children or other dependents, not spouse.  

If you only have one source of income, your husband's retirement, and no children or other dependents, you should be able to mark Married filing jointly at the top, leave the dependents line in Step 3 blank and enter any other income and deductions in Step 4.

johnd84

Dependents

Hi Nrwgngrl,

Thanks for your question. You might be referring to the old form W4 (pre2020) . I'm assuming you are asking about dependents in step 3. If this is the case you only claim children under 17 or other dependents in this step. A spouse is not eligible to be a dependent so for step 3 neither you nor your spouse would be listed. 

LaceyL

Dependents

Hello!