Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MaryC8

Dependent

My boyfriend claimed me as a dependent this year. I tried to e-file and my return was rejected. I knew my boyfriend claimed me as a dependent, but I did not check the box on my taxes that I was claimed as a dependent on someone elses taxes. What do I do? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Dependent

Amend your return and report that you have been claimed. Did you have more than $4,700 in income?  If so, he can’t claim you. 

MaryC8

Dependent

No, I did not have more than $4,700. He supported me all year. I thought I still had to file my own individual return since we are not married. 

Dependent

@MaryC8 If you have a W-2 with tax withheld in boxes 2 or 17 you can file to seek a refund.   If no tax was withheld you do not have to file a tax return unless you have a 1095A of having marketplace health insurance.

Or....if your income was from self-employment you are required to file if you had even $400 of self-employment income because you have to pay for Social Security and Medicare.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies