Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dependent W2 form and earnings reporting

Hello,

I have encountered a situtaiton of having two under 18 dependents with W2 forms.

While using TurboTax desktop version to enter each of my depedents' W2 forms, a message appeared stating that "...since you're under 18, your parents may need to report some or all of your income on their tax return..."

When I checked online within the Turbox Tax community, I found another answer regarding how to deal with my depdendents' W2 forms and earnings.  The message answered the following question "How do I add a dependent's w@ to my own?"

The answer to the questions is "...You don't - your dependent's w@ isn't reported on your return."

So, I am at an impasse on how to proceed.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

RC

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.

You might also want to use free software from the IRS Free File versions:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The message you saw had to have been referring to investment or "unearned" income subject to the kiddie tax.   You do not put your dependent child's W-2 income on your own tax return.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies