Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Dependent children has earned income, need to file?

I have a 16 year old who earned $4100 income. Does he need to file taxes? Do I include his income in my taxes?

I have a 18 year old who is a full time college student in Missouri who earned $1100 income. Does he need to file taxes? If so, for which state? Or do I include his income in my taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

MY DEPENDENT HAD A JOB

If your dependent has a W-2 for his after-school job, summer job, etc. you do not include the information on your own return. You can still claim your child as a dependent on your own return.  He/she can file his own return for a refund of some of his withheld wages (he won’t get back anything for Social Security or Medicare), but MUST indicate on it that he can be claimed as a dependent on someone else’s return.  (Supervise this closely or prepare it for him!)

If your dependent’s earnings were over $400 and were reported on a 1099Misc or 1099NEC then he must file a return and pay self-employment tax for Social Security and Medicare.

You might also want to use free software from the IRS Free File versions:

https://apps.irs.gov/app/freeFile/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

You should not include their earnings on your return. They will each need to file their own return if they are required.

Your student in Missouri is most likely still a resident of your home state, so he would not need to file a Non-Resident 
You do not have to file a Missouri return if you are not required to file a federal return. If you are required to file a federal return, you may not have to file a Missouri return if you are a nonresident with less than $600 of Missouri income.  If he had withholding on his wages for Missouri, he can file to recover those as a refund on a Non-Resident return. 

The 16-year-old may wish to file a state return for withholdings as well.

It sounds as if neither of them needs to file a federal return but you can check the exceptions below to be sure.

They might not need to file a return for 2022, if they are below the filing threshold and do not have a requirement listed below. 

They also must file a federal return if:

•  had $400 or more in self-employment net earnings (gross income minus expenses)
  •  had marketplace health insurance and you received advance payments for the premium tax credit
  •  received health savings account, Archer MSA, or Medicare Advantage MSA distribution
  • had wages of $108.28 or more from a church or qualified church-controlled organization that is exempt from employer social security and Medicare taxes
  • Or owe any special taxes, including any of the following:
    •  Alternative minimum tax
    • Additional tax on a qualified plan, including an individual retirement arrangement (IRA), or other tax-favored account
    • Household employment taxes
    • Social security and Medicare tax on tips you didn't report to your employer or on wages you received from an employer who didn't withhold these taxes
    • Uncollected social security and Medicare or RRTA tax on tips you reported to your employer or on group-term life insurance and additional taxes on health savings accounts
    • Recapture taxes

If this does not completely solve your question, please let us know your home state andmore details, so we may better assist you.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies