Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Delayed Relocation

I have been without a permanent address since May of this year.
I am relocating (to a new state) for a job(Started Dec 2021), but able to work remotely and fortunately I have been able to stay with family/friends while I wait for new construction on apartment to be completed. Delays in construction were incurred due to supply chain issues.

I have not paid any out of pocket expenses on property, living arrangements or utilities and have had extended stays across a 2 different states with this situation.

It is expected that I’ll occupy my new residence before the end of 2022.
How might this situation impact my tax filing in regard to income tax & indicating my type/location of residence occupied?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KarenL
Employee Tax Expert

Delayed Relocation

Without knowing which states you are referring to, and whether or not those states have an income tax reporting requirement, it's difficult to fully answer your question.  The simple response is that you will file all income in your current resident state,  since you have not officially moved (assuming it has income tax).

Also, since you had extended stays in other states, you will need to file a non-resident tax return for income earned in the other state.  Your current resident state may offer a credit for taxes paid to the other state.  

This article might be helpful for multiple state situations.  And check this out too about when you would have to file in more than one state

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies