Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LCM4
Returning Member

Defaulting customers to purchase Audit Defense

A bit more understanding is that likely during my first click through of the software (before filing) I must have 'explored' the Audit Defense choice, not knowing I was essentially 'purchasing'--then it appears that going back as far as 2019, customers have been having difficulty 'removing' the service from the final order (as did I): How do I remove audit defence on my order? (intuit.ca) In that string there were experienced users like me (I have actually been a TT customer over 20 years, not just 10+) who as recently as last year were surprised (like me) to see they had inadvertently purchased Audit Defense. Also last year someone did post a work around for removal if this happens to you (and you recognize what happened before filing):  How To OPT OUT of AUDIT DEFENSE (intuit.com) .

Anyway, I am afraid that TT has known about this issue for several years (i.e. not a 'glitch') but maybe considers leaving barriers in place for removing an unwanted service from one's order a good business decision. I would also say that there is a generally increasing lack of transparency within the software for customers to understand all the charges they will incur (in my instance an additional $40) for having any software or service charges taken out of their refund--or that because of that, they will receive their refund from TPG LLC and not the IRS. This should all be made much more explicit to the customer from within the software. Likewise, if they request TT to withdraw money from their account to pay taxes on a future scheduled date--my daughter did that this year and again, there was no transparency regarding the $20 charge.    

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
LCM4
Returning Member

See my previous posting 'Glitch in software making it impossible to avoid Audit Defense' as this (above) was intended to be a reply to that.

iibeach

It's not clear which version of the software you're using, which might be the key to this issue. I've been using TT since it was first issued and this is the first year that I have encountered this problem. After searching the web, the TT chats and talking to 2 TT phone reps, the answer (for me anyhow) is that I'm purchasing the "Advantage" version of the software. Audit Defense (AD) is included in Advantage, and it shows up in your "cart" as a $0 purchase. If you remove it, I think what happens is that when you get to the point in the process where you need to pay for the e-filing of a state return, the program realizes that it does not have the user data it needs to populate the AD function and it holds you up and forces you to go back and agree to AD. When I did this and then went to pay, the $25 charge for e-filing a state return was there as was the AD, but the AD showed as a $0 purchase. When I progressed from that page all of my forms got immediately submitted.  Now, I just have to confirm that the AD cost wasn't deducted from my refund. If that happens I'll post it here. And raise hell with Intuit.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies