Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Deductible Home Mortgage Interest Worksheet 2020 - Error Avg Balance

Are you talking about complaining to TT?

If TT, you can Google turbotax customer service and you will eventually get a live number to talk with someone to  get help or register a complaint.

If you have an issue with mortgage interest deduction question;  you can look at the chain of responses to see if any 'fix' your issue or you can post your question and I or someone else will try to help.

Good luck.

ai2020
Returning Member

@GSD77 - Does you solution work for TurboTax Premier Online version? The online system is recommending to file 2 separate 1098s if the balance is under 750K in line with this official TT post. My balance is under 700K for both the original loan (30 year term) used to purchase the primary residence house from 2018 (one 1098) and its 2020 refi counterpart from a different lender (30 year term) (second 1098). Luckily i have only one 1098 for my refi, and even that is causing issues. In my case the refi closed on 1/16/20 so I have been on the new refi loan for 11.5 months. I also paid  $3500 for points on the refi loan, which I cant figure out how to have the system amortize. FWIW, in 2021 I've refinanced again with yet another lender (30 yr term).

I wrote more detailed question here before coming across this thread. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I think so.

OLDER  POST (modified)

Box 1.  Add up all of mortgage interest paid on mortgages.  So add up amounts on all 1098 forms and enter.  

Box 2. Enter outstanding mortgage balance at beginning of year 1/1/2020 TT.  You said your balance is below $750, 000  (you said NO) so  your interest deduction isn't limited ..

Box 3. Date of original mortgage ordination date on property, that is, date of first loan on property.  So 2018 date.

Box 10 on 1098 or your Real Estates tax bill:  Add up all real estate taxes paid and enter in Property (real state) taxes paid box. On TT interest screen or enter through next TT window “Property Taxes”

so basically add up  both interest paid and real estate taxes paid and enter as one 1098 in TT.  I personally named the Mortgage Lender as a combined name (e.g. Citibank and Wells Fargo mortgages)

Where it asks if refinance I would say yes.

When asks about points I would put in 3500 and 30 years and it will give you a deduction of $117, which is off by $5 if used exactly 11.5 months.  I would really worry about, but I didn't look your override.  And over 30 years you will not over deduct. 

Post again if more questions.  As you are $750,000 TT should accept and enter the combined interest and real estate taxes paid as full deductible and transfer to Schedule A

Just left detailed message; just remember to keep worksheet on your calculations just in case IRS asks.  Even if IRS asks, should be no issue as your are deducting accurate amount and not trying to cheat.

Forgot to include in prior post/

I purchased a brand new home from Toll Brothers who financed the purchase. 2 months later they sold it or transferred it to Wells Fargo.

I have TWO 1098-INT’s. The 1098 from Toll brothers included points and a little interest paid in 2020. The 1098 from Wells Fargo includes the remaining interest paid in 2020.

I have TT Premier installed on my laptop. My mortgage interest deduction is showing as Zero dollars.  

The loan amount is over $1M.  I didn’t refinance the loan. Toll Brothers sold or transferred it to WF.

can someone recommend how I can enter these details from the two 1098’s so TT calculates my mortgage interest deduction correctly?

thank you!!

OLDER  POST (modified)

Box 1.  Add up all of mortgage interest paid on mortgages.  So add up amounts on all 1098 forms and enter.   Put a dummy name line Toll Brothers - Wells  Fargo as as Lender (Not really important what name you use)

Box 2. Enter outstanding mortgage balance at beginning of year 1/1/2020  or date purchased in TT.  You said your balance is above $750, 000  so your interest deduction willed be limited.  When over $750,000 Turbotax normally asks ending balance.  Otherwise calculate average mortgage loan outstanding (See IRS Publication 936) for methodology.  Could use sum of all end of month principal balances divided by number of months outstanding.  If Turbotax doesn't calculate just but that average in Box 2.   

Box 3. Date of original mortgage ordination date on property, that is, date of first loan on property.  So date you closed with Toll Brothers.  Note:  There may be a mortgage acquistion date on Wells 1098, put in Box 11.

Box 10 on 1098 or your Real Estates tax bill:  Add up all real estate taxes paid and enter in Property (real estate) taxes paid box. On TT interest screen or enter through next TT window “Property Taxes”

so basically add up  both interest paid and real estate taxes paid and enter as one 1098 in TT. 

Where it asks if refinance I would say yes.

Calculate 750,000 / average loan balance  = percentage.  Use that percentage and multiple by  total interest and see if TT calculates same.  If so done.

Keep calculations just in case IRS questions.  Not trying to 'cheat', so should not be an issue.

If calculation wrong then will have to override TT.  I will cut and paste in a minute.

Any questions repost. 

downloaded 2020 TT software and tried to override on Schedule A , which created an error that wouldn’t allow e-filing, and no place to override on Home Int Wkst either in View - Forms.

Did find a fix:

1. Prepare Excel type worksheet to calculate deductible mortgage interest consisting of:

A.  Average Principal Outstanding on new loan calculated per IRS Publication for Mortgage Interest Deductible (Simple Calculation would be end of month principal for each month the loan was outstanding and divide total by total number of months loan outstanding , which will give you an average principal outstanding slightly less than original loan amount.  Then calculate deductible interest as ($750000 divided by calculated average principal outstanding) times interest

Take the calculated total per above and go to Tax & Int Wks in View Tab - Forms and Right Click on Line A2 in Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet on said form and click on Add Supporting Details.  In DESCRIPTION COLUMN type in “calculated amount” or similar descriptor and go to AMOUNT COLUMN and enter the above calculated allowable deductible mortgage interest amount.  Hit Enter and the correct interest deduction will automatically transfer to Schedule A without creating an error that prohibits you from filing electronically.

Post if you have any issue.  Good night.

Where di I enter 2020 loan interest paid to repair my home 

@Timcinjon9 wrote:

Where di I enter 2020 loan interest paid to repair my home 

Personal loans and the interest on the loan are never deductible on a tax return regardless of what the funds from the loan are used for.

If you have a second mortgage or home equity/improvement loan or a home equity line of credit the interest on these loans would be deductible if the funds are used to improve the value of the home and/or extend the life of the home.

Repairs to a personal residence, not used as a rental or in a business, are not deductible on a tax return so the interest paid on the  loan is not deductible.  Unless the repair is included as part of an improvement to the home then the interest on the loan would be deductible.

LateFiler

I filed an extension hoping that TurboTax would fix the bug in the software, but its still busted ?

I can do the calculation by hand correctly, but its completely wrong for a refinance over $1M and it does not do monthly average balance.  

I just want to override the value for the Home Mortgage Interest in Schedule A, 8a.  How can that be done ?

Level 3

downloaded 2020 TT software and tried to override on Schedule A , which created an error that wouldn’t allow e-filing, and no place to override on Home Int Wkst either in View - Forms.

Did find a fix:

1. Prepare Excel type worksheet to calculate deductible mortgage interest consisting of:

A.  Average Principal Outstanding on new loan calculated per IRS Publication for Mortgage Interest Deductible (Simple Calculation would be end of month principal for each month the loan was outstanding and divide total by total number of months loan outstanding , which will give you an average principal outstanding slightly less than original loan amount.  Then calculate deductible interest as ($750000 divided by calculated average principal outstanding) times interest

Take the calculated total per above and go to Tax & Int Wks in View Tab - Forms and Right Click on Line A2 in Mortgage Interest Limited Smart Worksheet on said form and click on Add Supporting Details.  In DESCRIPTION COLUMN type in “calculated amount” or similar descriptor and go to AMOUNT COLUMN and enter the above calculated allowable deductible mortgage interest amount.  Hit Enter and the correct interest deduction will automatically transfer to Schedule A without creating an error that prohibits you from filing electronically.

Post if you have any issue.  Good night.

Old response does this work for your situation

This happened to me in 2020 as well, and I just stumbled across this glitch this week (late 2021) I have a jumbo mortgage (>$750K), and refinanced during 2020. TurboTax added the mortgages together, roughly doubling the actual average balance, and as a result my mortgage interest got shaved by many thousands, and my tax bill went up by several thousand $. I've just re-filed an amended 2020 return, and there I overrode the program to show the actual monthly average for each of the sequential mortgages.

I'm very disappointed and angry with TutboTax. This should've been part of their interview and error-checking, and easy to program. Had I not stumbled across this, I'd still be out several thousand bucks. As a 20-year Turbotax user, I'm truly pissed.

MommyG5
Returning Member

Hi!

I had this problem too except I bought a home in 2020 and was not able to sell the second one until early 2021 so I did have two mortgages (the second mortgage STARTED 12/28/2020- and that additional mortgage combined with my original mortgage put me over 1.2m. I submitted my return and after reviewing it I noticed that the standard deduction was used and I could not figure out why. Now I am hoping to amend my return because I do believe I lost a significant portion to the deduction calculating incorrectly. Did anyone else have to amend their return for this?

I saw your note to create a separate google sheet for this. Considering the second mortgage was only around for 3 days - of the year - could I essentially just leave that second mortgage off the calculation completely? Otherwise - would I just calculate how many days throughout 365 I actually maintained a specific mortgage balance? I'm hoping to amend my 2020 return.

@GSD77 Any thoughts?

@Katie_B, following on your reply from last year to see if TurboTax has fixed this issue? If not, can someone from TurboTax explain why this is an ongoing issue? Thank you very much! 

MommyG5
Returning Member

I’m in the same boat and need to amend my return to properly reflect the right amount I should be able to claim and to be able to itemize.

dis you amend using turbo tax?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies