Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Deceased spouse

Spouse was primary in the past.  Should he still be listed first on tax return?

Will we need his driver's license information in order to e-file?

State of Virginia income tax filed through the mail (due to $ of e-file) There doesn't appear to be an indication that spouse is deceased.  Should I write deceased in the signature space?  Will I need to include a copy of death certificate?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Deceased spouse

Did he die in 2023?  My husband died last year too.  I filed a Joint return with him still listed as Primary.  It printed his name and deceased date up at the very top of the 1040.  I efiled both federal and state.  State is only $25 to efile from the Desktop program.  I didn't need to include a death cert.

Next year I will have to do my own return as Single and not transfer from 2023 but need to start over.  Do you have children?  You can file a Joint return the year your spouse died.  For the next two years following a husband's or wife's death, the surviving spouse can file as a qualifying widow or widower if they have a qualifying child. That basically lets you continue to use the same tax brackets that apply to married-filing-jointly returns.  After the year of death if you don't have a child you file as Single.

Deceased spouse

Were you able to e-file?  I read that you can't because the ssn has been frozen.

Thanks for your answer, he did pass away in 2023 and there are no dependents.

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Deceased spouse

Yes, you can file electronically.  The IRS has allowed this for deceased taxpayers for several years.  

I send my sympathies to you and your family.

@Laura936 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Deceased spouse

Yes I efiled Federal and state.  And got my refunds direct deposited.  Which I didn't think about until later.  They went into my bank account without his name being on the account.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies