Antcrise

Death of spouse

My husband died on January 2, 2022. I filed our 2021 taxes with him on the return. Do I do the same for 2022

Death of spouse

So very sorry for your loss.   Yes, if your spouse died in 2022, when you file your 2022 tax return you can file a joint return.   That way you get the standard deduction for a married couple, which will make less of your 2022 income taxable.

In My Info, you will need to indicate that your spouse died. When his name is in My Info,  there is a screen early in the interview that asks "Do any of these apply to [name] ?’” where you will do that, and then a drop down will appear where you can enter the date he passed.

If you have dependent children, you will be able to file as a qualified widow for the next two years after this tax return.  Post back if you need further help.