Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sennyotai

CT Child Care Worker Appreciation Bonus sent as 1099-NEC

Last year the state sent out an 'appreciation bonus' to child care workers. We received a 1099-NEC for this after already filing. While trying to amend this to our return there's the option of 'sporadic activity or hobby'. By not selecting this I'm driven down a rabbit hole of trying to define a non-existent business on Schedule C with questions that cannot be comfortably answered because there is no business.

Does this 'appreciation bonus' provided by the state count under 'sporadic activity' or some other option? Can this just be listed as 'Other Income'? Or has the state forced every childcare worker in the state to file a Schedule C (and likely be more confused than I am)?

Related article: https://portal.ct.gov/Office-of-the-Governor/News/Press-Releases/2022/10-2022/Governor-Lamont-Announ...

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

If you were being paid as a child care worker before, how was that being reported?  Are you self-employed, or a W-2 worker at a facility, or working under the table?

sennyotai

My wife works at a daycare facility and gets a W-2 from them. The 1099-NEC is from 'Public Partnerships LLC' and not the state directly (if that matters).

@sennyotai wrote:

My wife works at a daycare facility and gets a W-2 from them. The 1099-NEC is from 'Public Partnerships LLC' and not the state directly (if that matters).

This is a bit complicated.  I would say here that even though your spouse is a childcare worker, she does not work for the state, so the bonus was not compensation for work performed for the state.  I'm looking at this as being similar to a "SPIFF".  This is a bonus paid to salespeople in certain industries like auto or appliance sales, where the manufacturer sends the salesperson a direct bonus in addition to their wages or commission from their regular employer.  Since the salesperson is not directly employed by the manufacturer, the SPIFF is not compensation for work performed for the manufacturer.  So it gets taxed as taxable miscellaneous income rather than taxable wages or taxable self-employment income.  But that's just my opinion.

To report this as miscellaneous income (taxable but not self-employment) you would need to carefully look at the 1099-NEC interview for the test questions and answer them all no (this was not for work she performed, this was not like her regular job, this was not for profit, this is occasional income and not a regular thing).  Those answers are true, because while childcare is her work, it was not work for the state that paid the bonus.  

That should get you past the interview so you can report it as miscellaneous income rather than self-employment income.  

jdyer1

So when I go through Turbo Tax the only options to select for a 1099-NEC are:

• self employment
  • farm income
  • hobby
  • lawsuit
  • Medicaid wavier payments that qualify as difficulty of care
  • Income that should have been reported on w-2

None of these apply as a bonus we received as childcare worker from the state. I don't know where to go from here.

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

You can select hobby.  Not that it is hobby, but if you are using the online version, you may only get the hobby option.  On the desktop version, hobby is money not earned as an employee or self-employed individual.  Either way, entering it this way will enter it as other income not subject to SE taxes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies