Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rpruiz23
Returning Member

Covid-19 distribution, missed repayment on tax return 2021

Hello,

I took a Covid-19 distribution from my IRA back in 2020 and elected to repay increments of 1/3 of the distribution starting on 2020.  I paid 2020 and 2022 but missed the payment in the 2021 return.  Can I amend my 2021 return to include the payment?  If yes, will I be charged 10% penalty for that year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Covid-19 distribution, missed repayment on tax return 2021

Did you pay it back in 2021?  If not, then no, you cannot include it as repaid that year.  There is not a 10% penalty for distributions made under the covid 19 act. You would only be liable for regular income tax on the distribution.  

If you did actually make the payment in 2021, simply did not include the repayment on your return, then yes, you can amend your 2021 return to include the repayment instead of the distribution. 

"A7. In general, yes, you may repay all or part of the amount of a coronavirus-related distribution to an eligible retirement plan, provided that you complete the repayment within three years after the date that the distribution was received. If you repay a coronavirus-related distribution, the distribution will be treated as though it were repaid in a direct trustee-to-trustee transfer so that you do not owe federal income tax on the distribution. May I repay a coronavirus-related distribution?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies