Covid-19 401K withdrawl

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Announcements
TurboTax has you covered during Covid. Get the latest stimulus info here.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dbadma
Returning Member

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

If I took out 100,000 for example and want to split that over three years how do I do this? Would the gross distribution be 100,000 and the taxable amount be 33,333? Or would the gross and taxable amount be 33,333. 

7 Replies
DoninGA
Level 15

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

The distribution would be $100,000 and the taxable amount would be $33,333. 

But that is calculated by the TurboTax software.  You enter the Form 1099-R that you received exactly as received and then answer the follow-up question concerning a Covid-19 withdrawal.

macuser_22
Level 15

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

@dbadma wrote:

If I took out 100,000 for example and want to split that over three years how do I do this? Would the gross distribution be 100,000 and the taxable amount be 33,333? Or would the gross and taxable amount be 33,333. 

"If" - did you?    Do you have a 1099-R for a 2020 distribution?     Was it because of COVID?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dbadma
Returning Member

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

dbadma
Returning Member

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

So it seems, they would do this if only I do not check the box Pay tax on entire retirement distribution in 2020? 

DoninGA
Level 15

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

@dbadma wrote:

So it seems, they would do this if only I do not check the box Pay tax on entire retirement distribution in 2020? 

That is correct.

dbadma
Returning Member

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

If I paid taxes on the money I withdrew could I split that up in 3 years? 

macuser_22
Level 15

Covid-19 401K withdrawl

@dbadma wrote:

If I paid taxes on the money I withdrew could I split that up in 3 years? 

The tax?  No.   The tax withheld will apply to 2020.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
v
Privacy Settings