Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

County (Multnomah County, OR) tax wasn't accounted for by TurboTax for 2021 and 2022. Now I owe back taxes, penalties and interest. How can I avoid this happening again?

My county (Multnomah County in Oregon) has a local tax for Free Preschool for All and Metro Supportive Housing Services and TurboTax didn't calculate those taxes owed properly for 2021 and 2022. As a result I now owe $4000+ in back taxes as well as $1500+ in penalties and interest. When I contacted the city tax service they said that they notified Turbo Tax about this new local county tax shortly after it was voted into law (2020) and that Turbo Tax told them that TurboTax wouldn't change their software until enough local county residents reached out to ask TurboTax to make that change. 

Where do I put in this request so that my future taxes are calculated correctly?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

County (Multnomah County, OR) tax wasn't accounted for by TurboTax for 2021 and 2022. Now I owe back taxes, penalties and interest. How can I avoid this happening again?

TurboTax only prepares a few city or local tax returns as an extra step in your state return.  For most local tax returns you are on your own.  Your only record of paying your local tax will be your own bank/credit card records

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899325-which-city-tax-returns-can-i-do-in-the-turbotax-state-prog...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

This is unbelievably frustrating as I am in the same circumstance exactly. TurboTax should have included this tax in the Oregon return when they were informed of it by Oregon back in 2020.  This will now require manually filing with Oregon and then an Amended State and Federal Tax Return for 2021. Terrible customer service and we deserve better. 

srf058

Intuit obviously knows of this problem and has a pretty good idea about which of their customers are affected?  Why aren't they reaching out with a proactive solution?

srf058

I've got the same problem.  But as I read through their "Guarantee" and contract info they consistently refer to "IRS/State" tax returns and filing.  Has anyone actually talked to someone at TurboTax (is that possible) and asked if they are going to admit their mistake?

I attempted calling TurboTax and that was an effort in futility!  I was forced to use their chat support feature, which was completely useless. Finally I asked to "speak" to a person and that person told me that the tax preparation package I purchased didn't include speaking to a real person and I was provided a link to upgrade. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies